Newcastle City Learning Governing body
Newcastle City Learning has an active Governing Body which provides challenge and rigour as well as advice. The Governing Body is made up of elected members, community representatives, staff and learners of the establishment. The Governing Body's Chair is Melissa Middleton.
Governing Body membership
- Melissa Middleton - Chair
- Cllr Paula Holland - Vice Chair
- Cllr Nick Cott- Elected Member
- Cllr Sylvia Copley - Elected Member
- Margaret Cook - Learner governor
- Garry Nicholson - Staff governor
- Martin Snow - Community governor
- Chloe Jackson - Staff governor
- Violet Rook - Community governor
- Ian Dawson - Local Authority Adviser
- Laura Ingram - Staff governor
Full Governing body meetings are six times a year, and subcommittees meet three times a year in addition to this.
Minutes of Governing Body meetings
Annual Meeting 10 July 2019 (pdf, 249KB)
Full Governing Body 9 October 2019 (pdf, 262KB)
The Governing Body is responsible for:
• determining the educational character and mission of the Service and for oversight of its activities including curriculum planning and delivery;
• approving the quality strategy of the institution;
• ensuring the effective and efficient use of resources
The Governing body represents the interests of the local community in particular and public interest in general. It is there to oversee the way the Service is run and to make sure it delivers high quality learning opportunities and makes effective use of the resources it has available.
The management of the Service remains the responsibility of the Local Authority, within the broad framework of policies and accountabilities set out and monitored by the funding bodies, the Education and Skills Funding Agency and the North of Tyne Combined Authority..